Thursday, February 25, 2010

365 Photo Project - Day 55

Taken: February 24, 2010, approx. 11:30 a.m.
Location: Healdsburg, CA

All the weather reports had it raining for a week straight but we woke this morning to bright sunshine peaking through a wall of fluffy cotton clouds. A pleasant surprise for sure.

When I was heading down the driveway late this morning, something didn't feel right. This project has me looking up and around constantly and something felt out of place as I looked left, toward the vineyards next door. The view was different somehow. It was a moment before I realized what was so strange: something was missing from the landscape. One of the big oak trees along the driveway had fallen over in the storm. Lucky for us, it fell away from the house and not on it.

It's a fairly awesome sight, seeing an enormous oak felled, snapped from its roots like they were merely toothpicks. Late the night before we heard a thud -- I remember my husband mentioning it. We thought it might be a branch hitting the roof. Turns out it was much bigger than that. Just another dead soldier of the storm.

I shot the tree with my Pentax K100D -- you can see the roots and the trunk and branches lying on the ground. It doesn't quite do it justice. Edited with Photoshop.

No comments: