Wednesday, February 3, 2010

365 Photo Project - Day 34



Taken: February 3, 2010, approx. 10:30 p.m.
Location: Pico Blvd. at Lincoln, Santa Monica, CA

I took this photo a stone's throw from where we used to live in Santa Monica. Not far from here is the first apartment I rented when I came to L.A. and later, where my husband and I bought and renovated an amazing house that we sold before the bubble burst.  Being back here is always strange for me, maybe a bit melancholy too. I used to think I'd grow old near this corner of Lincoln and Pico --  felt like I'd put down some serious roots here. Funny how life works.  So many twists and turns, many strangely are not as much painful as unexpected.

I'd like to think a person can work with that. The surprises along the way I mean. You don't have to be old and wise to realize there are only winding curves and death-spiral drops on the road of life.  But if it  will never run straight and true, it's still there, always lying out there before us. As Bruce says, "like a killer in the sun".  Not surprisingly, the Boss was on to something.

I'm like a lot of people. I let the small shit get to me;  I spend so much time trying to get away from the world, I forget that the point is not to run away but to find something to run to. Make no mistake: destinations are for hacks. It's the journey down that winding road that gives us the most satisfaction.  At least it does for me.

The things one thinks about on a drive through the old neighborhood, eh?

These two guys were riding in front of me as I drove home from dinner in Culver City. They were on old bikes, that choked and sputtered and apparently didn't go very fast. I used my K100D and the 200mm lens, editing gently with Photoshop.

No comments: