Friday, March 26, 2010

365 Photo Project - Day 85


Taken: March 26, 2010, 7:30 p.m.
Location: Healdsburg, Ca

I said there would be days during this project when I would reveal a little bit about myself here, like it or not -- for either of us.  I used to be a big sharer. I talked about "my feelings" a lot.  In my dotage, I've gotten over doing that. So much so that allowing myself to think back on those days makes my neck hairs stand on end and that little voice in my head go "eeeew".

I started writing this even before I had a photo chosen because today is a big day for me. I'm ending a relationship. I'm breaking up ... with my iPhone.

Well, not exactly totally completely. Our relationship remains strong and viable and when those penguins at AT&T finally give us its blessing, we plan on entering the "3GS" stage of our courtship. That part of our togetherness is still strong and viable. But we're going platonic.

That's right, my friends, my iPhone and I will no longer be sleeping together.

I'm kicking my iPhone out of my bed -- and out of the bedroom. The charging station is going to the kitchen, as far away from where I sleep as possible. I've decided my gadget love needs boundaries. No more reaching for the comfort of that hand-held goodness, no longer will I be lured away from my sleep by the false security of that lovely little screen,  no more goodies and games and Facebook and Twitter in the wee hours of a sleep-deprived night -- all that which conspires to occupy my brain and keep the makers of Ambien in business.

I know this is not going to be easy. I yet I stand up to admit my addiction: "My name is Elizabeth and I have a problem."

I am addicted to my iPhone. I can't stand not being near it at all times, even at night. I've long known this has been killing me in little pieces every day -- I mean don't get me wrong. Having the iPhone has been wonderful in so many ways, improving my production and allowing me to concentrate a lot of business into one device. But it has also altered my life in ways that are not productive, have screwed with my sleep patterns, turned me into one of those people who pulls out their phone. In truth, the internet is my drug and the iPhone is the needle, but no more. No. More.

At least no more at night. Beginning tonight, I break the addiction. I'll let you know how it goes.

The image I used today is another in my series of shots of my Converse sneakers. I shot it with my K100D, using the camera's internal flash. It's edited in Photoshop.

1 comment:

Rebecca Palm* Gallimaufry Photography* said...

I hope your i-phone will respect your wishes. It would really suck to have to get a restraining order! :-)