Wednesday, January 27, 2010

365 Photo Project - Day 27


Taken: January 27, 2010, approx 10:20 p.m.
Location: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Wilshire Blvd.

My friend Susie lives very close to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA). On the way to her house tonight for dinner,  I drove right by the museum and the installation of street lamps gracing the building's entrance. It has always intrigued me as a photographic subject (I'm not the only one it seems) and I wasn't going to miss my chance this time. The installation is called Urban Light by artist Chris Burden and features more than 200 restored street lamps arranged in columns. It's impressive during the day but at night, it's a glowing beacon on Wilshire that can be seen from several blocks away.

The last few years when I've been in LA, I've passed by it a lot and I also tell myself I'm going to stop and take a photo of it. Well, now that I need to take a photo every day, it wasn't hard to finally make good on the promise to myself so I pulled over late tonight on my way back to my crash pad on the West Side. I set up by K100, using the manual exposure and shutter settings and went to work. Getting the color and light balance was tough despite the light and I ended up using a photo filter in Photoshop (a combination of sepia and a cooling blue filter did the trick on this shot). While I was shooting, two girls pulled up behind me and started taking photos of themselves standing among the lights. I love the way people participate and interact with outdoor art installations like this one. I imagine it's never quite the way the artist or museum intends.

No comments: