Sunday, January 17, 2010

365 Photo Project - Day 17


Taken: January 17, 2010, approx. 3:20  p.m.
Location: Healdsburg, CA

It's raining today. Just like yesterday and according to the weather report, it's gonna be raining for days. I like shooting in the rain. I like the way water reflects off the trees and the pavement and I love the way the light works with the water.  Days like today are ideal because there were breaks in the downpour (like in this shot) and everything clears up just enough to give you great detail if you can catch it.

Unfortunately, today required a trip to the mall and to Costco, both for specific reasons. The mall was no fun (I'm going to beat you AT&T!) and Costco was, well, it was Costco. Normally I have a pretty good plan of attack and I'm in and out in no time but it's been awhile since I've been at this Costco and they moved everything. It was a treasure hunt except all that was waiting at the other end was a 24-roll pack of toilet paper.

Today's shot was taken at the foot of my driveway using my K100D and the 18-55mm lens. I'm having a little trouble with my camera -- only, I'm ashamed to say, because I lug it everywhere and I'm not careful about it --  and the focus isn't working great. It's forcing me to make adjustments manually which means I'm getting a lot of junk pictures. I didn't even like this at first but it grew on me. I added a little more contrast in Photoshop (thanks to my friend Glenn for making one tiny adjustment that really makes the photo pop).

What I do like about this shot is the way it suggests the lonely solitude of the place where we live, a feeling heightened on a rainy day like today.

No comments: