Tuesday, May 25, 2010

365 Photo Project - Day 145

Taken: May 25, 2010, 5 p.m.
Location: Healdsburg, Ca

I drove home in the middle of a long writing session yesterday in the late afternoon. I was hoping to find something for today's photo on the way -- two birds with one stone and all that. It was raining, again and it was cold, again too. This weather has been a bitch and it's showing no signs of letting up. I can't believe it's nearly June and I'm complaining it's not hot enough but I am. I'll regret it in a few weeks I'm sure, but right now, I could use some warming sunshine.

There has been a low line of clouds hanging over the vineyards along the road on the way to my house. Lots of photo ops but I'm getting over those views too -- at least for this project. I want to shoot something else. How cool that as I was driving along, I saw this bird, it's white feathers standing in stark contrast to the dark, grey sky.

I don't know what kind of bird it is -- looks to me like a crane -- but it sure was lovely framed against the green landscape. The bird wouldn't let me get too close, flying off each time I walked toward it to get a better shot. In fact, this image was obviously taken as the bird was trying to fly away from me.

Anyway, since I'm trying to get all caught up with my posts, this will be another quick and dirty entry. Promise I'll write more for the next one.  Before I go, though, I should mention that my friend who has been in the ICU at UC Davis medical Center for more than a week, has shown amazing signs of improvement. After a visit from her rescue pug Betty, she opened her eyes today. Long way to go, but any progress at this point is worth celebrating.