Thursday, May 13, 2010

365 Photo Project - Day 133

Taken: May 13, 2010, 11:30 a.m.
Location: Healdsburg, CA

No less than seven women that I know are expecting. Little Serafina above is the first of them to arrive - she's but seven days old in this photo. You might remember I snapped a photo of her mom Dawnelise very early in this project (Day 8).

I don't have children and I'm now at that age where considering it is fanciful. I don't know why the motherhood bug never hit me. I mean I used to think the idea of having a baby would one day be too overwhelming to ignore, but the feeling has never lasted longer than a passing moment and even then it's never felt very real.

I don't feel bad or guilty either. Some women are meant to be moms and I'm just not one of them.

I shudder that this makes me the crazy aunt, godmother -- the woman with the pugs. Ironically, I'm great with kids. I love my three nieces and my nephew and I'm close to a couple of my friends' kids. I love to share in their discoveries of the world. Maybe that's because I'm a big kid myself.

One day I suspect I'll find myself teaching somewhere, but until then I'll just live vicariously through my friends and siblings, doling out wisdom, advice and proper hitting technique to their little ones.

You know, "crazy aunt" doesn't sound that bad after all. Maybe I'll make that my next tattoo.

1 comment:

Michele Val Jean said...

You're totally a mom. When you wake up and see one of those pug faces looking at you - you're mom.