Thursday, June 10, 2010

365 Photo Project - Day 161


Taken: June 10, 2010, 6:30 pm.
Location: Healdsburg, Ca

I'm slapping up a few photos. Sorry for the short posts, people. I have a lot to talk about but I'm writing so much that by the end of the day, I can't get my thoughts together.

Healdsburg has a Peace Project and they usually come out to stand at the plaza Thursday nights. Its numbers vary greatly. As you can imagine, they got a huge crowd during the build-up of the Iraq War and of course after the U.S. invaded.  Lately though, the group has been smaller. But they're always there and whenever I drive by, I honk my horn to show support.

My folks were already almost middle age by the 60s but they were always taking a stand against injustices. My Mom stopped buying grapes to support the California migrant workers and they attended anti-Vietnam War protests. We watched the Watergate hearings on television - Nixon was the bad guy. It wasn't about indoctrination either. They encouraged us to read the newspaper, to investigate stuff -- find our own answers. Have standards, a sense of honor, treat people with respect and to stand up for what you believe in.

I think about this when I drive by the Plaza on Thursday nights and it makes me proud.

No comments: