Saturday, June 5, 2010

365 Photo Project - Day 156

Taken: June 5, 2010, 11 p.m.
Location: Healdsburg, Ca.

I was feeling a little low the other day. Nothing special, just your late  day blues and blahs. And then my old man pug, Louie, came into the room and slowly got himself up on the bed and without a sound curled up next to where I was sitting. No snuggling or sniffing or face licking. Just a plop down on the bed being chill pug thing. I don't know why but it made me smile. Which is kind of funny if you think about how naturally sad a pug mug looks. Funny but sad.

I actually love that about them. They look at you with those big sorrowful-seeming pug eyes even when they're happy. It's a pretty good metaphor for something good. Like the mystery of life maybe. Who knows?  Like I said a post or two ago, pets can take over your life, good and bad, but having them around can change you in important and fine ways. We all need the lightness of heart they carry through the world. And something else, which I've mentioned on this blog before.  I believe they have the ability to sense things about us that most of us are too big-brained to understand. Which is why people think their pets understand them better than any person could.

Maybe Louie came in to the room because he wanted to or maybe he came in to keep me company, to give me some comfort on a bad day. It doesn't matter. I already know.

No comments: