Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A Writer Writes


Photo: Forest Road, Healdsburg, CA January 2007

"For the tale of how we are delighted and how we may triumph is never new, it always must be told. There isn't any other tale to tell; it's the only light we've got in all this darkness." -- James Baldwin, "Sonny's Blues"



Writers are supposed to write, right? Well, I'm a writer and I write and sometimes I even get published and produced but I've never been able to keep a journal. It always feels so forced. But I can't just sit down and get down to the shit first thing every morning so instead, I send emails and I write letters to the editor that I hardly ever send off and I post on a message board or two. It does get the juices flowing but most of the time it feels like I'm talking to a choir of one -- me.

I have a POV of the world that's skewed through the glass of my experiences as a sportswriter, journalist, author, TV writer and Cancer survivor. That's colored by the large shadow of my Cool Ass Parents and my crazy wonderful friends and my time trying to sustain the Hollywood Dream. And more recently from my move out of Los Angeles to a small slice of paradise in Northern California Wine Country, a window to a natural world of wonder and a man-made feast of feasts, and a quiet little room with a view while I write something that means something to me, that warms my soul, that reminds of why I write in the first place.

And, hell, it's easier than writing letters to the editor. Anyway, this is my take on the world of sports and the world in general and whatever else I feel like. And a few photos I've taken or will take that illustrate the things I can't quite say in words.

See ya tomorrow....

1 comment:

Undercover Black Man said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, S.O.L. The blog is a demanding mistress... or a cold-hearted pimp... or something. It demands to be fed.

But I think keeping your writing muscles toned is just the beginning of the rewards to come for committed blogging.

I look forward to what you have to say.